Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chapter Ten


Intermission: ?

What’s in a name? By using the grid below, each letter is assigned a numerical value and adding those numbers to a final single digit gives the value of the name.


Thus:

• JUSTIN DAVID MOELLER = 78 = 15= 6

• J DAVID MOELLER = 58 = 13 = 4

• DAVID MOELLER = 57 = 12 = 3

• DAVE MOELLER = 44 = 8

And further:

• BLUETRUCK WITH A BENTHOOD = 96 = 15 = 6

What's all this numerology all about anyway?

Bluetruck With A Benthood?

Some societies name their young after familial ancestors. Others after heroes or even deities common to the society. Others name their offspring by observing their personalities, physical characteristics or behavior patterns.

Some might even use common vegetables for names.

You may remember I was named after my eccentric a.m.’s long dead grandmother, and not Lettuce after a salad.

But when it comes to eccentricities, I had a mechanic in L.A. who had a thing for names: he didn’t remember them.

Chuck was a "shade-tree mechanic" in North Hollywood, CA. He broke his back years ago and was living on disability. He said he wasn’t allowed to lift anything over 10 pounds but was strong as an ox.

He was an expert mechanic to the stars (I met Griffin O’Neal puttering around in his “parts shed” one afternoon) who charged almost nothing to do excellent work. Believe it or not, he was fair and competent and trustworthy and fast. He wouldn't do anything that didn't need doing and he only did what you wanted done.

There were some rules, though: He didn't do what he didn't do. If he didn't do a particular type of repair (transmissions, for instance) then don't ask him to do it. No amount of pleading, begging, bribing, cajoling or threatening would get him to do it.

And he gave "bad phone". He had an answering machine but he never called back. He’d advise you to call him back, though.

And, he wouldn't remember your name. Instead, he remembered you by the vehicle you drove.

At the time I was driving a 1980 Datsun (the early Nissan) station wagon. It once owned by Academy Award Winner Anne -Let’s Throw Momma From the Train- Ramsey and her husband, the instantly recognizable character actor Logan Ramsey.

Logan and I were members of the Lonny Chapman’s Group Repertory Theatre in L.A. where I produced him and Lonny in the world premiere of Razzle-Dazzle, a compilation of William Saroyan's work by Chapman, another recognizable character actor.

Anne had passed away some years before and the car was unused. I was in need of transportation and he made me a generous deal.

But the deal with Chuch was you can’t just call him up and say “Hi, this is Dave”.

"Dave" doesn't ring any bells with him. I had to tell him I was Dave and then what kind of car I drove, to bring me to mind. But I couldn’t tell him “I’m Dave and I have the 1980 Datsun” because he doesn't know me by that car. He knows me by the vehicle I first started coming to him with: a 1972 blue Chevy pickup truck.

With a bent hood.

So now when I called I had to say, “Hi, this is Dave who used to have the blue truck with the bent hood but now I have the 1980 Datsun 520.”

So I started thinking of changing my name to "Bluetruck W. Benthood".

Which, numerologically, equals 75 = 12 = 3!

It always bothered him that, in the time I owned the truck, I never let him fix the hood. He'd tell me it wouldn't be any trouble to get a new one from a pick-a-part lot and bolt it on.

My priorities were more along the lines of keeping the sucker running rather than making it look good.

And it was amusing to me that it irked him.

Later when I was hit on the right front fender of my Datsun by an old Frenchman, who did quite a bit of damage, Chuck went nuts telling me it wouldn't be much trouble to pull the fender off and stick a new one on.

Again, my priorities -and my financial situation- were more focused on keeping the car running.

Lesson: Irkers of the world, unite!

And there was no way I was going to change my phone name to: “Dave, the guy with the blue truck with a bent hood who now drives an 80 Datson 520 with a bent fender”!

He could probably fix the car faster than I could say it.

By the way, the meaning of the number values of the names:

• JUSTIN DAVID MOELLER = 6: It’s associated with the star of David. People born on the 6th tend to have clairvoyant tendencies (I was born on the 9th, an inverted 6). Possibly takes his good luck for granted

• J DAVID MOELLER = 4. Unlucky in the Far East, no big deal in the new world. Considered to symbolize the four seasons and the four main directions. Slow to move toward goals, but often mischaracterized as lacking drive, when actually moving towards success at a slower pace than expected. Will come into successes later in life.

• DAVE MOELLER = 44 = 8: Not really associated with the magical realm, but more inclined toward the materialistic. Success eludes, but the drive is ongoing. Worries about coming troubles and how to avoid them.

• DAVID MOELLER = 57 = 12= 3: Possibly connected to clairvoyance via Greek Prophetess Pythia’s standing on a three-legged stool. And luck…”third time’s a charm”. Well liked and an entertainer at heart. Charming and persuasive; a natural salesman. Must keep ego in check.

Lesson: Call yourself anything you like; people have their own name for you anyway.

Case in point: I had an agent in Houston who insisted on calling me Sam!

No comments: